03 December 2011

Pure Exhaustion Part II

In the last 6 months I've run two half marathons and competed in my first triathlon. I also try to go to the gym at least 3 days a week. I should be in pretty good shape...right? So why am I so exhausted every time I have to get Carter ready to go somewhere. Could it be because he fights me on everything? He doesn't want to get out of the bathtub; then once I get him out of the tub he doesn't want to put any clothes on; then once I get him dressed, he doesn't want to put on any socks and takes them off just as quickly as I get them on; then he doesn't want to get his hair brushed and tries to run away from me as soon as he sees the brush in my hand; then he doesn't want to go down the stairs and instead, either wants me to carry him (even though my hands are full with purse, diaper bag, etc.) or he just sits on the top step playing with the child gate; then once we finally make it to the door he doesn't want to put on his coat (mind you it's 40 degrees outside) and unzips it as soon as I zip it up; then he doesn't want to put on his shoes and vigorously kicks his feet as I put them on and tie them up; and finally, he doesn't want to put his arms through the straps on the car seat. By the time I get him strapped in, put on my coat and shoes, and get in the car, I'm usually out of breath and have broken into a light sweat.

How can such a little person require so much energy? The funny part is that Carter thinks the whole thing is a game. He's doesn't seem to be behaving this way with ill intent. Especially, since he's laughing and giggling the whole time. So no matter how frustrated I get sometimes, I just have to laugh it off and keep it moving. That is...until we reach our destination and he has taken off both his shoes and socks and I have to stand outside in the cold trying to put them back on. C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment