23 January 2012

Potty Training Woes

My little boy never ceases to amaze me with his antics. It's so hard for me ever to get angry at him, even when I should be serious, because he just makes me laugh. The new source of comedic relief is this whole "potty training" thing. I went out and bought a mini-potty and have been consistently taking him to the potty during diaper changes. He sits on the potty willingly but like everything else it's a game for him. We count to 20 and after 20 seconds he can get up. Well, he likes to keep getting up during that 20 seconds and then quickly sits down. Up and down, up and down, until we get to 20. Then, when the 20 seconds is up and it's time to wipe, of course, he doesn't want to get up. In fact, he sometimes has to bring reading material or a toy with him.


Hilarious! How can I be serious when he does stuff like this. The worst part of the training so far is that he just takes his diaper off at will. He'll disappear for a couple minutes and then come back with diaper in hand like he just found some hidden treasure. Today, he went into our bedroom closet, closed the doors, and when I came in after him, he had taken off a poopy diaper and some of the pellets fell onto the carpet. Thank goodness they were solid and easily picked up. Again, I could do nothing but hold in my laughter because he looked so proud of himself.

I know potty training will take time and there will be some bumps along the way but I hope those bumps don't involve much more poop on my carpet. In the meantime, I'm buying some pull ups, cloth diapers and some new onesies in his size. I'm going to try everything and see what works.

1 comment: