17 July 2011

One More Thing to Check Off My Bucket List

As if I weren't busy enough, I have signed up to do my first triathlon on August 27th. It's called the Go Girl Triathlon and it's an all-female sprint distance triathlon at Eagle Creek Park in Indy. What this will entail is a 500 meter swim (in a lake), a 10 mile bike, and a 3 mile run.  In the last few years I have run 3 marathons and 3 half marathons so a triathlon is just the next step in the progression to challenge myself physically. I've signed up with a training group so I could get some guidance from a coach who has experience doing triathlons. I am most worried about the swimming. I can swim...which to me means I won't drown...but I can't SWIM...which I learned very quickly on our first day of practice. I thought I was going to die after swimming 2 laps. Swimming laps is no joke. You literally are working every muscle in your body.

What I didn't research before signing up for the event, however, was the investment I would need to make in a new bike and tri gear.  Who knew that a bike could be so expensive. The last time I got a bike I was a pre-teen and I'm pretty sure we got it from Meijer for about $100.  My new bike was $550 (and that was an inexpensive one) and that doesn't even include gear like a helmet, air pump, shoes, pedals, etc. This is definitely a rich (wo)man's sport.  I realize now why I like running so much.  All you need is $80-100 for a good pair of running shoes and you're out.

Nonetheless, I'm having fun so far and my swimming is finally starting to improve a bit. I will keep you posted on the progress of my training as the event gets closer.  Bike $550...Training Class...$200...Gym Membership (with pool) $400...Tri Registration Fee $60...The joy of getting my pre-pregnancy abs back...PRICELESS!

2 comments:

  1. I love it!!!! You go girl:) Which gym did you choose? Anxious to hear more about your progress and get some much needed motivation from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a such great plan! I dont think I can make it through the training.

    ReplyDelete