08 August 2011

Another Fun Family Mini-Vacation

My dad, stepmom, Carter, and I traveled to Washington D.C. this past weekend to belatedly celebrate my brother Clinton's (CC) 30th birthday. His actual birthday was July 10th but we weren't available to make the trip so we decided to make up for it. Being my normal "cheap" self, Carter and I crashed in my parents' hotel room. We thought we were going to have two double beds but once we arrived they only had king bed rooms. What does that that mean you ask? It means that Carter and I were stuck on a roll-away bed. The room was so small that the only place the roll-away would fit was at the foot of the king bed. Once we did this, access to the far side of the room was completely cut off. Carter loved this configuration because it meant he could easily climb from one bed to the other. We've been in tight quarters before but this was "tight."

Other than the close quarters, the hotel was nice. It was The Fairfax on Massachusetts and 21st near Dupont Circle. The location was convenient to restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Everything we needed was a short walk or taxi ride away. My dad got a great rate on cheaptickets.com and I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for accommodations in the area.

On Friday night, we had dinner at a Lebanese restaurant (think kabobs) and on the walk back to the hotel we stopped to hear a street brass band comprised of about 6 young african-american kids ranging in my guestimation from ages 6-16. Those boys were rocking, had a good crowd, and had been playing for at least 3 hours. In a moment of weakness (this doesn't happen often) I donated $10. I thought they deserved it. Afterwards, I hung out with CC and one of his friends. We went to Public House in Dupont which is a multilevel bar/club. It was a cool place with a good crowd and the expected pop hits. However, if I hadn't already realized this, it confirmed that I am way over pushing through crowds, having drinks spilled on me, ringing eardrums, and standing room only. Is this a sign that I'm maturing or that I'm a boring housewife? Maybe it's a little of both but if I never step foot in another club I wouldn't be disappointed. They just don't hold the same luster for me anymore. In my 20s I used clubs to look for my next victim...I mean date...but now that I'm locked down (I mean that in the most endearing way possible) I have no use for them anymore. Although, I will admit, I still like the occasional booty shake with my honey or with my girls but 2-3 times a year is all I need. I was so happy to get back to the hotel and snuggle up next to my little angel.

On Saturday, Carter and I started our morning with a walk to Au Bon Pain for a croissant and muffin (so yummy). Why were random women stopping us on the street to gush about how cute he is? Of course he just eats it up. If this is any sign of what's to come I am not looking forward to his teen years. I can already imagine him as a "ladies' man" because he is very social and already a charmer at 14 months. We had lunch with an old family friend who, despite being 78 with one arm in a sling recovering from shoulder surgery, laid out a mini-feast for us at his home. I rarely see hospitality like this and it inspired me to be more like this to guests in my home. I was also impressed by his art collection which he acquired while living in Nigeria and South Africa in the 80s and 90s, as well as, his stories of the peace keeping missions he embarked upon while abroad.

We ended Saturday with a wonderful feast at CC's abode with the company of his roommates, family, and friends. My uncle Calvin and his daughter Kennedy were there and Kennedy (5 years old) and Carter, who met for the first time, got along glowingly.  So well that Carter felt comfortable taking Kennedy's drumstick from her plate and waving it around like a trophy. It was so much fun watching the two of them. Even with the age difference, they seemed to have a good time together. The highlight of the night was my dad trying to back out of the parking spot in the alley behind the house. It's really one of those "you just had to be there moments" but the best way I can describe it is the scene in Austin Powers where he was trying to turn around the motorized cart in the hallway and he kept hitting the wall. OMG...my dad could not get out of the spot and it was so hilarious that everyone from inside the house came out to watch. We eventually made it out, although with tears in our eyes from all the laughter. Ahh...all this and still in bed by 11 p.m. Unfortunately Carter didn't get the memo. I had to literally keep my arm around him so he would stop moving and fall asleep. I have never seen anyone fight sleep like him.

The trip ended with breakfast Sunday morning and we were off to the airport. I was so happy to get home and see my hubby but once that excitement wore off both Carter and I passed out. If this isn't a sign of great trip, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

  1. Yea...you ain't no spring chicken mama! I got a good giggle out of reading this post...lol. ;-)

    ReplyDelete