23 April 2012

The End of the Nap? Noooo!

Carter would not go to sleep at nap time today. I put him in his crib at 12:30 pm like usual and went downstairs to eat lunch. When I finished 30 minutes later I still heard him making noises so I went to check on him. "Hi" he says cheerfully as I open the door. Since he wasn't even close to being sleep I pulled him out and let him come into our bedroom. Not 5 minutes later he started what I like to call sleepy behavior. He started trying to open random drawers, spinning around in circles, and hitting me. That behavior landed him right back in his crib with my hope that he would close his eyes and succumb to nap time. 10 minutes later he was still standing up in his crib so I decided to give up because it was close to 2 pm and he hadn't eaten lunch yet. We went downstairs so he could eat lunch and after that I just knew the "itis" would kick in and he would be sleep in no time. No such luck. He was bright eyed and ready to play. That was the last trick in my book so I accepted the fact that he wouldn't be going to bed until bedtime. Luckily, he fell asleep just before 7:30 pm as I held him in the rocking chair. One lullaby and 2 minutes of rocking was all it took.

I hope today was an anomaly and will not be the status quo moving forward. I am not ready for the end of Carter's naps. That 1-2 hours (especially on days he is not in school) is sometimes the only break I get all day. Tomorrow will be a good tester because he's having a party at school. If that doesn't tire him out we may be in trouble. Houston...we have a problem.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully it was just a test. You passed and so tomorrow he'll crash. Maybe it is the growth spurt thing. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete